Friday, February 15, 2013

Why I Love My Wife ...

Joseph surprised me with the post below. Even though we missed the link-up, I'm tickled that my husband, who writes all day for a living, took the time to jot down some thoughts in this space.


On this Saint Valentine's Day, I am happy to appear as a guest on Melanie's blog following Joel's example from The Practicing Catholic's event: Why I Love My Wife.






I am reminded of Elizabeth Barrett Browning's famous poem, "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways..."

1.  She is a daily image of Christ in my life. With her patience, her forgiveness, and her passion, she truly lives out the vocation of marriage and family. Especially when times are challenging, I can count on her to be the face of Christ to me. That is my greatest support and foundation and helps keep me from falling, as I know I would without her.

2.  She is called to her vocation. Melanie lives her vocation with a passion. She is an excellent mother. Even when I had doubts about the financial realities of her leaving her full-time employment to be at home with our children, she persisted. It was the right decision for our family and the right decision for our children. She definitely puts our children above her own concerns. It's not martyrdom, but a glorious example of having divine priorities.

3.  She helps me be a better man. Without Melanie, I would certainly fall away into darkness, a life focused on work, career, politics, and nothing of greater worth. She keeps my compass pointed in the right direction, helps keep our relationship with Jesus at the forefront with our relationship and children right behind. In short, she helps me keep my priorities straight.

4.  
She is truly beautiful. Inside and out, Melanie is truly beautiful. She is radiant in her kindness, thoughtfulness, and empathy. She reflects the light of Christ in all her relationships and endeavors and I count myself lucky to be loved by her, and I often do not feel deserving of her grace.

5.  She is the love of my life. I love to be with her, talk with her, share time with her, and to be her partner is this journey of life. In fact, we feel that we have precious little time to be together. From the demands of work, to the rigors of family life, it is so difficult to set aside enough time to be husband and wife. Melanie, I love you and every day while we are apart, I miss you.




3 comments:

  1. Aww, how sweet!!!

    =) Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I missed this last month. What beautiful witness to God's abundant providence made manifest thorough our wives.

    ReplyDelete

The words of the reckless pierce like swords, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.
Proverbs 12:18

Thank you for commenting in the spirit of love and charity.